The resources below can help you at the first two stages of the career development process.
The online self-assessments below can give you insight into your personality and preferences. As people are complex, changing, and difficult to measure, take on the role of investigator when taking these tests. They give you clues about yourself. Some of the results will confirm what you already know about yourself, some things may be completely wrong. Use the results to create a mosaic of yourself to better understand what kind of work and work environments will fit you best.
- Career Values: Value-Sort Activity (free with links to other assessments for a small cost)
- Interests: O*NET Interest Profiler
- Strengths: Motivated Skills Inventory
Once you understand your personality traits, interests, strengths, and values, do some exploration to see what’s currently out there and what seems to fit your preferences. But also know that not everyone can find a perfect fit in the job market–some people have to create their own.
- Occupational Research
- Industry Trends: Occupational Outlook Handbook
- Connect with Others: Linked In
Job Search Resources
There are many great search engines that can help you find open positions when publicized. Here are a few that are specifically focused on international development and non-profit sectors.
- The Bridgespan Group
- Commongood Careers
- The NonProfit Times
- The Chronicle of Philanthropy
- International Organization Careers
Job Interview Preparation
Salary Negotiation Strategy
- How to Write a Resume for the Professional
- Resume Fonts
- Robot Friendly Resume
- 5 Reasons Your Resume Failed to Generate a Response
- Fun History of the CV
Looking for something to do on a rainy Sunday afternoon? What to watch something while you eat your lunch? Below, you'll find a mix of thought-provoking, informative, and transformative videos to help you find the right job for you and to make the world a better place.
- 4 Steps to Transition to A Global Career (a webinar I presented for Devex members)
- Career Decision-Making (a webinar I present for returned Peace Corps Volunteers)
- Confronting Gender-Based Violence: Empowerment through Economic Opportunity
- Gaming Can Make a Better World