The Benefits of Positive Peer Pressure and Your Job SearchDecember 12, 2017
New Year, New Career!January 9, 2018
I still remember the isolation and loneliness of my last major job search. I had just gotten back from the Peace Corps so I was facing culture shock, AND financial insecurity, AND long, unstructured days where it was just me and my computer. Cue the job-search blues! When the job offer finally came, I ignored all red flags and jumped into multiple years of what the personal growth industry called “learning opportunities.” How can you make sure that you have the stamina it takes to find your right-fit job?
Nothing beats human interaction, especially when going through a demoralizing job search (and let’s be honest, most of them are!). What are some ways that you can rely on your community to keep your spirits up and your job search moving forward? Here are my suggestions:
- Find an accountability partner, someone to check in with on a regular basis who will keep you focused.
- Schedule time with family and friends to NOT talk about the job search. Taking breaks is important!
- Incorporate networking and informational interviews into your job search strategy. You’ll be more effective at getting interviews and break through the loneliness.
- Join a job search support group. In Washington DC, 40Plus is a great organization that provides free lectures and peer-supported job search classes.
- Join a Facebook or LinkedIn group that focuses on your industry or the job-hunt.
- If location or scheduling makes it difficult for you to connection, sign up for Your Career Design Studio, my online 6-week workshop. You’ll learn effective job search strategies at your own pace while being a part of a group that’s going through the same process as you are.
Commraderie is crucial, not only in finding work but in life in general. The more you build your community now, the brighter your future will glow!
Learn more about Your Career Design Studio and sign up for a free 30-minute consultation to see what kind of strategy can help you get the job of your dreams!